Friday 13 June 2014

Things I am going to do


I can procrastinate no longer. I’m finding myself in the precarious position of being in danger of not having my written exam done before I’m flight test ready. Yes I really have been putting it off for that long.
The situation has become untenable, so I’m finally getting my ass into gear and studying for it, properly this time. No half arsed attempts and then bitching about the quality of the sample exams.

It turned out that a few bucks invested in an app for my phone was probably the best decision I’ve made in a long time. I can set it to fire 10 questions at a time at me, prodding the answers as I navigate my commute to work. I can also review the questions and the explanations behind them. This means that I’m actually doing near 2 hours of study a day and not even noticing the time spent. I’m also being very careful that I’m not just memorising the answers, I’m using them to understand the principles and come up with my own ways of understanding them.

I’m doing OK, I usually average 80-90% and I’ve narrowed it down to a small range of topics I’m struggling with.

Bob and I have “set the date” for my written exam. I’ll let you lot know when it’s over!

I’m strongly motivated to get-the-damn-thing-done-already. Not just from a getting my license perspective but because there are other things I want to do and can’t until I’ve got this particular monkey off my back.
In no particular order I want to

1)      Watch Season 4 of Game of Thrones - RTH has withdrawn my viewing privileges of this show until I pass the written exam. I’m not sure how much longer I can avoid the spoilers
2)      Read something that isn’t “From the Ground up” without feeling guilty. I have a backlog of stuff to read but always feel that I shouldn’t be reading for pleasure while this is still ongoing
3)      Catch up on the massive accumulation of videos I have stored from some of my solo flights and put some more snippets up on YouTube
4)      Play some computer games – I’ve probably got a backlog over a year’s worth that I refuse to get into because they’ll distract me form the written test that I never quite got round to doing
5)      Relax – no matter what I do at the moment there’s always that nagging voice (or two, or three) telling me I should be studying




Yep, I just need to do this , now!

2 comments:

  1. Excellent. If you need further motivation -- I've just (2 days ago) started studying towards the instrument rating. If I write my INRAT before you get your PPL written there will be merciless mockery.

    -- D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no not merciless mockery !!!!
      Now a better incentive would be to deny me a trip in the shiny thing until I get it done ;)

      Delete